Campus and Facilities
Capital projects provide the vital physical underpinning for the University of Chicago’s mission of providing the highest quality teaching, research, and patient care. For fiscal year 2010, the University authorized a combined University and Chicago BioMedicine capital budget of approximately $645.18 million to support new and ongoing renovation and construction projects, utility and information technology infrastructure, landscape and grounds projects, and capital purchases of equipment and books.
The redesigned Main Quadrangles were the venue for a highlight of the year: In June, the University community gathered there for the first campus-wide convocation since 1929. The project enhanced aspects of the original core campus quadrangles for pedestrians, providing a quiet and idyllic setting framed by the University’s original Collegiate Gothic buildings. Over summer 2009, the area was closed to vehicular traffic and new paving, accessibility improvements, lighting, and landscaping were installed.
Progress was made on the construction of the New Hospital Pavilion, among other major projects. The distinctive dome structure of the Joe and Rika Mansueto Library began to take shape, and groundbreaking for the Reva and David Logan Center for the Arts was celebrated in May. As construction began on the Chicago Theological Seminary building south of the Midway, an architect was selected to design the adaptive reuse of the seminary’s former building at 5757 South University Avenue.
The University utilizes principles of campus stewardship to plan and implement its capital program. Campus stewardship is a planning process that encompasses a holistic view of the University’s physical assets and their crucial role in its mission. The process supports the development of a systematic capital program that aligns the University’s capital priorities with its financial capacity in order to provide well-designed, highly functional, safe, and sustainable facilities.